In view of the limitations as well as criticism of the technique and tool used to study altruistic behaviour we felt a genuine need to construct a tool in India. It was also decided in advance to:
1. Use the Hindi language in the scale.
2. Have three response categories, as altruistic, neutral and egoistic.
3. Adopt the same scoring procedure for the total item of the scale
4. Establish the validity and reliability of the scale
5. Use semi-projective instructions so that the natural/original responses may be secured
6. Construct the scale to measure the altruistic behaviour of school/college-going students ranging in age from 10 to 19 Years.